The Utah Center for the Book, in cooperation with the National Center for the Book in the Library of Congress, invites readers in grades 4 through 10 to enter Letters About Literature, a national reading-writing contest. To enter, readers write a personal letter to an author explaining how that author's work changed their way of thinking about the world or themselves.
Visit the Letters About Literature website for more information about the contest or for the entry form.
In 2013, Utah's First Place Winners will receive $200, and will move on to the national contest. The Second Place Winners will receive $50, and Third Place Winners will receive $25.
Results from Utah's 2012 Letters About Literature Contest :
Level 1 (Grades 4, 5, and 6)
- First Place—Emily Langie, St. John the Baptist Elementary, Draper, Utah. Letter to Lemony Snicket about The Bad Beginning: Book One of A Series of Unfortunate Events
- Second Place—Jack Lang, Rowland Hall, Salt Lake City, Utah. Letter to Fred Gipson about Old Yeller
- Third Place—Lucy Peterson, Hawthorne Elementary, Salt Lake City, Utah. Letter to Cynthia Rylant about Dog Heaven
Level 2 (Grades 7 and 8)
- First Place—Everest Fang, Wasatch Jr. High, Holladay, Utah. Letter to Jon Krakauer about Into Thin Air. Everest also received recognition as a National Honor Winner.
- Second Place—Bethanie Wilde, Dixon Middle School, Provo, Utah. Letter to Robin McKinley about The Blue Sword
- Third Place—Katie Sabey, American Fork Jr. High, American Fork, Utah. Letter to Suzanne Collins about The Hunger Games
Level 3 (Grades 9, 10, 11, and 12)
- First Place—Jessica Morrill, Riverton, Utah. Letter to J.K. Rowling about the Harry Potter Series
- Second Place—Name withheld at winner’s request
- Third Place—Hillary Thalmann, Sandy, Utah. Letter to L.M. Montgomery about Anne of Green Gables
How to enter: www.lettersaboutliterature.org/how_to_enter