Rock Canyon Poets Community Poetry Workshop - Provo
Oct 2–16, 2018, 6:00 pm
Rock Canyon Poets Community Poetry Workshop
Wasatch Front Region
450 W Center St
Provo , UT 84601-4322
The Rock Canyon Poets and Pioneer Book, in participation with the Utah Humanities Book Festival, presents “Inspired,” a free community poetry writing workshop in October. This year the workshop is being expanded into to tracts, a workshop for adults ages 18+ and new this year, a second workshop for high school ages.
Poems as letters, or “epistolary” poems refers to the tradition of poets writing to people (or other things) in poetic form. In this workshop, participants learn how to write new poems inspired by prompts based on letter writing. Offered annually in participation with the Utah Humanities Book Festival by Rock Canyon Poets & Pioneer Book, this workshop is presented in two sessions, followed by a reception & poetry reading. Participants are encouraged to submit their poem to be included in a printed anthology and contributors will receive a free copy.
18+ Workshop – Pioneer Book, 450 West Center, Provo
· Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018 at 6pm – Workshop #1: share prompts, craft demonstration, writing exercises
· Tuesday, Oct. 16, 2018 at 6pm – Workshop #2: share and workshop first draft of poems
High School Workshop – American Fork High School, 510 North 600 East, American Fork
· Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2018 at 6pm – Workshop #1: share prompts, craft demonstration, writing exercises
· Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2018 at 6pm – Workshop #2: share and workshop first draft of poems
· Tuesday, Oct. 23, 2018 at midnight – Final poem submission due for anthology
· Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2018 at 6pm – Anthology launch party/reception and poetry reading
HOW TO SIGN-UP:
To sign-up, email your name and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Seating is limited. Come ready to write!
Co-founded by Bonnie Shiffler-Olsen and Trish Hopkinson in January, 2015, Rock Canyon Poets was established to develop camaraderie among Utah Valley poets, provide consistent workshopping and reading opportunities, and promote the disciplined study of writing poetry as a serious art form. Members meet twice a month at Pioneer Book in historic downtown Provo. The group sponsors poetry readings and an open mic on the 2nd Tuesday of every month. Membership is by invitation or portfolio submission only.
This event is made possible with support from Rock Canyon Poets, Pioneer Book, and Utah Humanities.