Strange Children with Sadie Hoagland
Sep 19, 2022, 7:00 pm
The Book Bungalow is happy to host Sadie Hoagland, author of Strange Children.
About Strange Children: In a polygamist commune in the desert, a sixteen-year-old boy and a twelve-year-old girl fall in love and consummate that love, breaking religious law. They are caught, and a year later, she gives birth to his father’s child while the boy commits murder four hundred miles away—a crime that will slowly unravel the community.
Told by eight adolescent narrators, this is a story of how people use faith to justify cruelty, and how redemption can come from unexpected places. Though seemingly powerless in the face of their fundamentalist religion, these “strange children” shift into the central framework of their world as they come of age.
About Sadie Hoagland
Sadie Hoagland is a fiction writer based in Louisiana and Utah. She has a PhD in fiction from the University of Utah and an MA in Creative Writing/Fiction from UC Davis. Her work has appeared or is forthcoming in The Alice Blue Review, The Black Herald, Mikrokosmos Journal, South Dakota Review, Sakura Review, Grist Journal, Oyez Review, Passages North, Five Points, The Fabulist, South Carolina Review and elsewhere. She is a former editor of Quarterly West, and currently teaches fiction at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
- ASL interpretation by 5-star interpretation
- Livestream on Book Bungalow Facebook
- Parking: We have the Green Gate Village parking lot (which is gravel) accessible from Tabernacle Street or 100 West; for those in wheelchairs it would be best to park on either Tabernacle Street or 100 West or in the Justice Center parking lot at 33 North off of 100 West. Those who park on Tabernacle can either approach the store from the front (though there are steps both to the walkway and up to our front porch) or from the driveway to the side of the store on 100 West where they will find a wheelchair ramp to our back entrance. And we have a portable wheelchair ramp allowing access up into the main floor of the store from the back cash counter.
- Seating: pace for people with wheelchairs is available.
- Bathrooms: We have public bathrooms in Green Gate Village in the northeast corner across the courtyard.
- On-site sensory kit available.
- No mask policy
- Request any additional questions or accommodations here: https://forms.gle/uV8MABJVvh9bE42F8
This program is made possible with support from Book Bungalow and Utah Humanities.
94 Tabernacle St
St George , UT 84770-3420
Tanya Parker Mills