CoraZones: Masha Shudovich
Sep 24, 2022, 2:00 pm
CoraZones is a reading and writing cipher for the Utah Poetry Slam community. Corazón means heart in Spanish. CoraZones fosters a warm, inclusive space for community members to exercise and strengthen their creativity.
Masha Shukovich will be the host for 9.24.2022.
Dr. Masha Shukovich is a writer, poet, storyteller, folklorist, teacher, and intuitive chef with ancestry and indigenous roots in the Balkans; the Mediterranean; and West, Central, and Northeast Asia (Siberia). She is the mother of Maya and Leela, a demigirl (she/they), a neurodivergent person, and an immigrant from a country that no longer exists.
*Please come prepared with a method of writing, be it a notepad and writing utensil, laptop, cellphone or whatever.*
CoraZones will start at 2pm at Under the Umbrella Bookstore. Each session will begin with a brief introduction, including chosen pronouns, and an emotional health check-in of participants to gauge the energy people are bringing into the room. After the check-in, the host will lead a reading exercise and discussion to teach a literary technique. After the conversation, participants will have time to generate new writing. Time will be provided at the end of the hour for participants to share their newly created work, as well as share poems they are seeking feedback on.
Read the rules of engagement here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WWXNgoB42uu7HtWUOBqctwVuah0OGfVSvaLlHNFsQ1w/edit?usp=sharing
- ASL interpretation by request. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Livestream unavailable.
- Parking: Right next to Old Greek Town Trax stop. Parking available in the driveway immediately south of the store. There are two disabled parking spots next to the south door. There is more parking is you keep following the driveway.
- Seating: Folding chairs. Space for people with wheelchairs is available.
- Bathrooms: Single stall bathroom available.
- On-site sensory kit available. Ask for Sara Gonzales or Willy Palomo
- Masks required.
- Request any additional questions or accommodations here: https://forms.gle/uV8MABJVvh9bE42F8
This program is made possible with support from Utah Poetry Slam, Plumas Colectiva, Under the Umbrella, and Utah Humanities.
Under the Umbrella
511 W 200 S STE 120
Salt Lake City , UT 84101-1343