Humanities in the Wild: Bird Qi Gong and Poetry
Sep 23, 2022, 6:00 pm
Humanities in the Wild is an exploratory outdoor experience that empowers participants to step into the landscapes that inspired some of the American West’s greatest literature.
For this Humanities in the Wild special, join Chinese martial arts master Shifu Jung and his disciples for an introduction to bird-inspired movements. Shifu Jung will be accompanied by Plumas Colectiva, a Latinx artist and writer group consisting of Willy Palomo, Melissa Salguero, Sarah May, Chelsea Guevara, Monica Ayala, and Lin Flores. This will be an evening of poetry and movement alongside the Jordan River and its many birds.
- ASL interpretation provided if requested. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to make the request.
- LIVESTREAM available on @utahbookfest Instagram
- Parking: There are two accessible parking stalls/van parking stalls at the Nature Center with a curb cut leading up to the sidewalk by the Nature Center. The parking lot is seldom very busy. The walkways in the Jordan River Nature Center are paved cement The gate will be open at the start of the event and wheelchairs can easily come through the gate. There is a porch that is accessible via ramp.
- Seating: We will have a variety of different seating, including blue lounge chairs and folding chairs.
- Bathrooms: There are two bathrooms, one with a urinal and one without. Both are marked for all gender use. The bathrooms do not have an accessibility button, but inside they meet ADA requirements. Staff will be on sight to open bathroom doors if requested. The bathrooms are flat and do not require a ramp to enter.
- On-site sensory kit available. Ask Willy Palomo.
- Masks recommended
- Request any additional questions or accommodations here: https://forms.gle/uV8MABJVvh9bE42F8
This event is made possible with support from Monk Wise Martial Arts Academy, Plumas Colectiva, and Utah Humanities
Tracy Aviary - Jordan River Nature Center
1125 W 3300 S
(in James Madison Oxbow Park)
South Salt Lake , UT 84119-2529