Teen Poetry Workshop with C. Valenta
Sep 21, 2022, 4:00 pm
Join us in the library of Sky Ridge High School for a Teen Poetry Workshop with C. Valenta, creator of Kids at Play.
Cornelius was raised by a single mother of 6 in Salt Lake City, Utah. The adversity he faced left him with two options: follow those before him or deviate, despite the risk it carries. His question wasn’t where to start, but how to establish oneself while lacking direction. During his childhood, his mother would play music in a van that often served as their home. Unknowingly at that time, music would play a pivotal role in the years to come.
His hardships changed his priorities, forcing him to place his education on hold, and focus on earning a stable income. In 2015, Cornelius obtained his GED before enrolling at Salt Lake Community College. There he would study two other degrees before he found himself captivated by the music. In November of 2018, music’s impact would allow him to become C. Valenta; Creating a mouthpiece for silenced adversities.
- ASL interpretation provided by request only. Email email@example.com to request.
- Livestream can be accessed on Instagram @utahbookfest
- Ample parking, including disabled spots, included in front of the school. As a public school, this venue follows ADA.
- Tables and chairs will be arranged for students, and we can accommodate people with wheelchairs where they wish to be seated.
- Bathrooms include stalls for disabled people. Gender inclusive and family bathrooms available. Ask a teacher for guidance.
- There will be an on-site sensory kit provided by Utah Humanities. Ask Willy if needed.
- No mask policy for this event.
- Request any additional questions or accommodations here: https://forms.gle/uV8MABJVvh9bE42F8
This program is made possible with support from Utah High School Poetry Slam Initiative, Sky Rigde High School, and Utah Humanities.
Sky Ridge High School
8136 S 2700 W
West Jordan , UT 84088-5311