Loose Cannons with Diana Ragsdale
Sep 17, 2022, 6:00 pm
Weller Book Works welcomes Diana Ragsdale.
Loose Cannons chronicles the colorful, dysfunctional, and sometimes clinically crazy Cannon family. Written by debut author Diana Cannon Ragsdale, Loose Cannons provides an intimate look at life in Mormon-dominated Salt Lake City with parents battling mental illness and the need to live up to their royal family name—at least to those on the outside. In reality Diana’s parents were smoking and drinking Mormon swingers who were ill-prepared for the responsibilities of parenting, though her mother birthed six children by the age of 29.
Diana was the rebellious outspoken daughter who often bore the brunt of her father’s rage and paranoia as he rose to fame as the county attorney ‘cleansing’ the city of criminals, filth, and immoral behavior. That is until her genius—but psychologically unstable—father became embroiled in a public scandal of his own.
Deserted by their severely depressed mother at the age of six, Diana and her siblings had to learn to survive on their own. Sometimes that meant climbing out a window to dumpster dive for food or shoplifting at the local convenience store. And yet, this motley band of siblings did their best to make it through their parents’ multiple suicide attempts and trips to the psychiatric hospital without parental supervision. After her older brothers fell into the drug culture of the 1960s, Diana and her three sisters were left behind with their new, sanctimonious Mormon Church-going step-mother who also happened to be their aunt. Strict moral code and Mormon culture dominated their new household and reined in the earlier chaos, but Diana’s defiance persisted as did the parental abuse.
Diana found escaping the Cannon home as an adult was far easier than escaping the pull of her Mormon faith. Her spiritual struggle continued through several disastrous marriages and affairs, culminating in the revelation of what it means to find what was lost and buried in order to live, love, and experience joy. Loose Cannons is the true story of a tough street kid turned emotionally stunted as an adult standing at the crossroads of religious fervor, mental illness, and family. And from there choosing a new way forward.
- ASL interpretation provided by 5-star interpretation
- For livestream information, call Weller Book Works.
- PARKING Is Free And Available In The 600 South Parking Lot And Along The 700 East Buildings. There Is Also Parking Along Building A In Front Of Alice Lane And Building B In Front Of Pottery Barn. We Also Have An Underground Parking Garage That Is Accessible Along The Corner Of 500 South And Also On The Corner Of 600 East. There Is Roof Access Parking On The 500 South/700 East Corner Above Whole Foods.
HANDICAP PARKING Is Available Throughout Trolley Square. If You Are In Need Of A Wheelchair, Please Call The Trolley Square Security Office At 801-534-0160 And They Will Bring A Wheelchair To You. (Rental Is Free)
- We can accommodate people with wheelchairs where they wish to be seated.
- Single stall bathrooms are available adjacent to the bookstore, large enough for disabled people and families.
- There will not be an on-site sensory kit.
- No mask policy for this event.
- Request any additional questions or accommodations here: https://forms.gle/uV8MABJVvh9bE42F8
This event is made possible with support from Weller Book Works.
Weller Book Works
1511 S 1500 E
Salt Lake City , UT 84105-2809
Weller Book Works